For over a decade, people have been using vacuum cleaners in their homes as well as offices to clean and remove dirt from surfaces. While vacuum cleaners are quite useful in keeping homes clean and fresh, they can also have a toll on the wider environment. After all, most regular vacuum cleaners consume a lot of energy, in the form of electricity, for them to perform their tasks.
The need to conserve the environment has become stronger in an ever-developing world. In this respect, it is of absolute importance for people to adopt eco-friendly ways of doing things; including purchasing eco-friendly vacuum cleaners for their homes.
Tips For Choosing An Eco-Friendly Vacuum Cleaner
Before buying a vacuum cleaner it is important to consider the following tips;
- It is essential for one to ensure that the vacuum cleaner in question is compatible with the carpets and hardwood floors in the house. This includes paying special attention to the material of the carpet and the type of floor.
- In this case, an eco-friendly vacuum cleaner would be one that can optimize cleaning the type of rugs/floor in the house. Using such a vacuum cleaner will save on energy and time.
- Most experts recommend choosing a vacuum cleaner that has a High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter. This is an eco-friendly vacuum cleaner that is highly efficient when it comes to getting rid of small dust and dirt particles in the air.
- It is also important to remember that corded vacuum cleaners are considered more energy efficient than cordless/battery-powered vacuum cleaners. This is largely because cordless cleaners run on batteries, which need a regular recharge.
- As such, cordless vacuum cleaners increase energy consumption and subsequently the cost of energy in the long run. In addition to that, cordless vacuum cleaners may end up increasing the presence of toxic materials/particles in the environment.
- Bagless vacuum cleaners are known for their eco-friendliness. They are easy to clean and associate with less waste. Bagless vacuum cleaners are also more cost-effective because they do require bag replacements. Nevertheless, experts advise people with allergies and respiratory conditions such as asthma to wear masks when emptying the canisters of bagless cleaners. This is largely because of the dust released from the canister.
- Robotic cleaners are also a viable option for those looking to buy eco-friendly vacuum cleaners. However, not all robotic cleaners are energy efficient, and people opting for robotic cleaners should be careful to identify one that is energy efficient.
Top 6 Eco-Friendly Vacuum Cleaners
Eco-friendly vacuum cleaners are gradually making their way into the mainstream market. Here are six environment-friendly cleaners that are worth checking out.
1. The Bobsweep PetHair Robotic Cleaner
This is one of the most eco-friendly robotic cleaners in the market. This reputation is mostly because it can perform multiple tasks (including vacuuming, sweeping, mopping and sterilizing) at the same time. This makes the bObsweep highly energy efficient. Individuals who have pets should also opt for this cleaner as it is highly effective for sucking up pet hair.
2. IMETEC ECO E1
This vacuum cleaner is not only aesthetically pleasing but also very energy efficient. In fact, according to their manufacturers, the vacuum cleaner consumes half the energy that conventional vacuum cleaners consume. The defining feature of this vacuum cleaner is the natural bristles parquet brush that helps create a “vacuum” mini cyclone of sorts. The “vacuum” mini cyclone enables the cleaner to pick up dirt more easily hence saving time and energy.
3. Cardboard Vacuum Cleaner (Vax EV)
Originally the idea of Loughborough University’s Jake Tyler, this eco-friendly vacuum cleaner combines sustainability, cost efficiency, and high performance. The cleaner is made up of Vax, which is considered one of the best floor care brands in the UK. Recycled plastic and uneven cardboard panels make it one of the most sustainable vacuum cleaners in the market. In addition to that, replacing the cardboard panels is easy and very cost-efficient.
4. Gtech AirRam Vacuum Cleaner
The Gtech AirRam has the advantage of being light-weight (only 3.5kgs), cordless and a reputation for optimal and efficient performance. One of the most impressive features of the vacuum cleaner is the energy-efficient lithium-ion battery which has a run time of up to 40 minutes.
In fact, it is possible to clean the home twice a day after charging the battery for 4 hours. The energy efficiency of this cleaner enhances by the fact that its rotating brush acts as both a sweeper and a fan. It also has a second, smaller fan that boosts the suction power even more and makes it clean more efficiently.
Lastly, the Gtech AirRam has a steering mechanism that makes it easy to move as well as a low profile that makes it easy to clean under furniture.
5. Vacs From The Sea
This is, without the doubt, one of the most innovative eco-friendly vacuum cleaners in the market. It is manufactured in a limited edition by Electrolux and solves the purpose of conserving the environment by encouraging recycling.
The vacuum cleaners under this series are made using waste plastic collected from 5 of the world’s oceans. Interestingly, Electrolux started by making only 5 Vacs from the Sea cleaners. These included the Pacific edition, the Baltics edition, the North Sea edition, the Mediterranean edition, and the Indian Ocean edition. Are only available for a limited time.
6. Miele Hybrid Vacuum Cleaner
This cordless vacuum cleaner gets power by light-weight yet powerful lithium-ion batteries. These batteries can keep the 1,800-watt motor running for up to 20 minutes. In case the batteries run out of power, you can charge them in 3 hours only.
However, one of the features that make it such an eco-friendly vacuum cleaner is the motor which automatically stops working after a particular temperature.
This is meant to help the cleaner evade the menace of over-heating. Once the cleaner has cooled down, the motor restarts automatically.